The Town of De Pere was established on March 8, 1839, by the Wisconsin Territorial Legislature and is the second oldest town in contiguous existence in Brown County. The original boundaries of the town included all or part of the present towns of Glenmore, Rockland, Bellevue, Allouez, Ashwaubenon, Lawrence, and Wrightstown.
The town boundaries were changed frequently during the next 20 years. In 1843, the boundaries of the Town of De Pere were revised to include what are now the towns of Eaton and New Denmark, and for several years, the town boundaries extended all the way to Lake Michigan, including parts of what are now Manitowoc and Kewaunee counties. In 1847, the part of the Town of De Pere lying west of the Fox River was transferred to the Town of Lawrence at the time of its organization.
In the next few years, several other towns were organized out of the Town of De Pere, including Morrison in 1852, New Denmark in 1855, and Rockland, Bellevue, and Glenmore in 1856. The City of De Pere was a part of the town until 1857, when it was incorporated as a village. The present boundaries of the town were finally established on November 18, 1859, with the transfer of property from the Town of Bellevue to the Town of De Pere.
During the following years, the Town of De Pere continued to grow and in the minds of many, the Town of De Pere became confused with the City of De Pere. In order to preserve the identity of the Town of De Pere, town leaders decided a new name was in order. After considering the names Nicolet, Bedrock, and Ledgeview, the new name, Town of Ledgeview, was chosen by ballot and adopted at the annual meeting on April 12, 1994. The name became official in August 1994.